Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Fountainhead Conflict

From the book The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand there is a dispute between an architect and his boss. The architect (Howard Roark) wants to design buildings of unique style that doesn’t match anything that has been done in the past while the firm that he works for wants him to design only what people tell him or follow some style of architecture that has been done in the past.  The architect was recently expelled because of a lack of working with other people and making the designs that were asked by his professor. He didn’t believe in following the instructions of the professor because his beliefs were that if the architects were to only design and follow old architectural models then there will never be an advance in the designs and everything will plateau. Although he had this type of independence about him he was still undeniably considered a genius and was hired by one of the biggest architectural firms in New York. At one point in his early career his boss asked him to design a house for an important client, but it had to be done in the same style as an old British house. Howard was torn between actually following the guidelines given to him or doing his own design on the house and trusting that his skills to convince the buyer that his design would be more practical and prettier. Without telling anyone about his plans he started working and a while later his boss found out about Howard’s intentions but by the time he found out the foundation for the house already started and a lot of money has been put in. The disputes between Howard and his boss started. Howard was a shy person that kept to himself most of the time and he would only give a one-word answer most of the time but regardless of his personality he believed in his design and stood up for it even if it meant that he would get fired. His boss was furious at the subordination of his employee and was ready to fire him but after he saw how much money has been invested he took a chance with Howard threatening to sue/fire him if the building would not be to the customer’s expectations. Later that year when the house was finished it become one of the most popular/beautiful houses in New York.
            After the gain of trust and gaining some popularity amongst other architects he quickly moved up in rank in his firm, to the point where his life took a turning point and he was asked by his boss to try to “woo” one of his biggest client’s daughter in order to get in a better relationship with him. This caused many problems with Howard because he already had a girlfriend and this looked unethical to him. Because Howard liked to be independent in his thinking and do whatever he thought was best didn’t want to pursue this request and had a hard time deciding what to do. His mother also urged him to try to purse this woman but the way he saw everything is that in doing this he would be lying to himself and secondly since the woman was the lead editor of an architectural magazine it would like he was only trying to get to know her for the sole reason to better himself in the architectural world. Also, another conflict was that one of his better friends was currently trying to talk with her and had a little bit of history with this woman. Ultimately in order to keep both his boss happy and his mom happy he gave in and started talking with the woman (Dominique Francon). Although he gave in and for the first time he followed someone’s orders he didn’t feel himself anymore and he believed that because of this his architectural integrity was breached and at most times felt inadequate to design his style of buildings anymore.

            He felt that he could not keep this up anymore and the only solution was to break up with Dominique and quit his job if this is what it took to regain his personality again. This solution lead to him getting a single bedroom apartment in New York and starting his own practice but it wasn’t easy for the young architect to gain traction because of the negative comments that were published in the papers by Dominique and his former boss but at least he now felt like himself again and even though he didn’t receive many orders and mostly did small inexpensive building designs he was finally happy again. Throughout the book he once again gains fame and popularity but this time by doing things his own way. Analyzing the conflict that happened between Howard and his boss we see that following direction is not always the best for the individual and conforming to society leads to one forgetting who they are. Although not always best it is important to break rules once in a while, believe in yourself and do things the way you think should be done. By doing this Howard was able to escape the feeling of being trapped and love himself again. The one regret that he mentions that he had is that he waited that long to resolve his conflicts and take action.

4 comments:

  1. I have not read this book, but I did see the movie starring Gary Cooper. It's quite entertaining and I say that as one not particularly fond of Ayn Rand's philosophy.

    That said, there is an issue with the story quite apart from the philosophy, just an issue with any novel or movie. Is there melodrama, which makes it more entertaining for the reader/viewer but which then distorts reality in a way. In this case the Roark character is morally pure. Is that realistic or not?

    The story is a bit loaded in that Roark is an exceptional architect. So one might ask whether only the very talented can afford to be morally pure in the way Roark is. If that is true, what then about the rest of us who may not be as talented? Does that explain why most people seem morally compromised?

    Let me make one further point here. Are you able to draw some parallels between this story and your own life? If so, I don't want to be the one to discourage you from doing so. But I would like you to try to see the complexity, a theme of our class, and how that might challenge some of the conclusions. That would be a good follow up exercise to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throughout the story we get the idea that Roark's character is morally pure when he first starts off but as the story progresses we get the idea that this moralistic character tends to fade away because the author goes into describing that he doesn't always want to be morally correct but rather he wants to do what he feels is right and that can be perceived by others in different ways. He is perceived as a morally pure character but what I understood from the story is that he stopped caring about what others think of him around the half point of the book and didn't care if his actions hurt others or displeased everyone which at one point got him fired and criticized in newspapers across New York. He puts his career and his love above anything else and that results in him doing things that would actually be perceived as morally impure. For example, there was a small part of it in the book where it says that Roark had sex with a woman because he believed that having sex would inspire him to create better designs, but it is also mentioned that the woman was forced into it against her will. Although we didn't get much information on that it just seems that he used her for his own benefit and in some way the description sounds like rape to me.

      I believe that the small details showed us in the book that even a person that is as talented as Roark doesn't always mean that they are morally pure although I believe that they tend to have more of it that people that are not as talented in their professions. I feel that people that are not as talented cannot afford to be as morally pure because they have to act a certain way and do things a certain way in order to overcome their difficulties in their career.

      Personally I used to play chess when I was in middle school and I got as far as being in the top 100 in the nation when I was in 6th grade for my age group at that time. I was very good at what I did and I loved playing it and I remember I had a chess coach that was training me at that time and he really wanted me to "cheat" by writing the first ten moves of an opening that we were studying just in case I would forget it at nationals during my games. I felt compelled to do that but the thought of me winning my games because of this and not because of the practice that I put in didn't let me go through with it. I am glad I chose that route because if I ended up cheating I don't think that I would even mention this to anyone today because of the shame I would feel. Although, cheating might have impacted my outcome more in the tournament it wouldn't have provided any satisfaction for it so that is the reason why I didn't go through it but I feel that someone that might have not been as talented at playing chess as I was they might have gone through with it because they would realize that they needed some sort of edge to compensate for the lack of talent even though it would mean being morally compromised in the end.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the book you talked about in your post, but the plot line that you explained grabbed my attention. Immediately when you started explaining the plot, it reminded me of a story that I heard about the person who designed Assembly Hall (now known as the State Farm Center) where our Illini Basketball team plays. Apparently, it was a student who originally designed the building for his final project in an architecture class on campus. The professor actually failed the student because he said it would never work. Well, I'm sure the professor, much like the boss this book, regrets being so critical.

    Beyond the plot connections, I think that this type of scenario lead you to bring up numerous points that are useful to remember when there is a conflict in the work place. One of the points that I want to comment on is staying true to your beliefs. Much like you mentioned the architect stood true to his design because of his wanting to further architectural designs from what they have been previously, I think it's important to remember that in the future. Innovation is something that companies are constantly talking about, and even if someone like your direct supervisor in a company doesn't like your ideas, you shouldn't let this conflict get in the way and press on to see if others have a different view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story from this book is an inspiring one, it basically is saying to believe in ourselves and we can achieve greatness. I have always lived by this moto, I have a ton of confidence in myself as a professional and I am not afraid to do things my superiors don't necessarily support. I think this can be some people greatest strengths but it can also be a major weakness.

    There will be times where I will be told I am wrong and I will have to accept that notion, I have to respect my superiors to get to where I want to be. Also, in your example what if he didn't make the house amazing. If he had not listened to the instructions as well as not provide a good product he surely would have lost his job. In my opinion it is not worth the risk, I think he should have stuck to the instructions while also providing an awesome finished product.

    ReplyDelete